Challenger Profile at a Glance
Meet the challenger team, Rakai Youths for Action & Development, from Uganda. They focus on raising and distributing tree seedlings, while raising awareness about climate change. Find out how they are making a difference as part of the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge!
- #85 – Rakai Youths for Action & Development (RYAD)
- 90-Day Challenge Goal: Raise and distribute tree seedlings and raise climate change awareness geared toward action
- Location: Rakai, Uganda
- Registered Challengers: Samuel Yawe aka Bigger Al-Islam
- 90-Day Challenge Period: September 1 – November 30, 2020
Here are some impact highlights from the RYAD team during the 90-day challenge period:
- Grew team from 10 to 20 members
- Meet with local leaders and train them as ambassadors of change
- Distributed 3,000 trees for planting
- Held climate change sensitization meetings with communities
- Trained youth on how to establish tree nurseries, providing financial capabilities
What part of the challenge was most helpful to you? Here’s what Bigger said:
“Of course, the Climate Action Challenge book and the workbook. It gives streamlined guidance in terms of steps. That was so helpful.”
“The weekly trainings were super cool for me and my team because we had interactions with different people,” said Bigger, referring to weekly Zoom meetings with challengers from around the world
Bigger said that by sharing experiences and knowing that more people were taking action, it motivated them to carry on.
Moving forward, RYAD plans to build on their momentum.
- Reach out to more communities to do more climate sensitization trainings
- Raise 5,000 tree seedlings
- Develop more partnerships
We asked Bigger, what is your advice for someone who wants to make an impact? Here’s what he said:
“Time is running out, so they need to start now. And most importantly, they should not be restrained by anything. If one has passion for action, they should just start there right away. Start with the little you have, and once you get started, it will even motivate others to take action because they’ll be like, He has done it, so I can. And the only way to know that you can do something is to get started.”
Want to get involved? Reach out to become a member or partner: