>> Register now for the December 14-16, 2021 Impact Summit to meet the top teams from the 2021 International Climate Action Challenge! <<
Challenger Profile at a Glance
Meet Bokashi Pinoy, 2021 International Climate Action Challenge Eco-Champion award-winners!
- #24 – Bokashi Pinoy
- Registered Challengers: Aissa Benitez, Angelica Belo, Deborah Lehmuel, Didi Dizon,
Lanie Francisco, Roy Emanuell Pajela, Trisha Claire Sapiter
- Location: The Philippines
- 90-Day Challenge Period: September 1 – November 30, 2021
During the 90-day challenge, the Bokashi Pinoy team:
- Trained 211 Certified Bokashi Pinoy Practitioners.
- Diverted 8,063 kg of food waste.
- Diverted 1200 kg of PET bottles.
- Diverted 200 liters of used cooking oil.
- Regenerated 3,000 square meters of traditional rice farmland.
- Secured funding for 30 landless farmers of Nueva Ecija for a 3-month pilot of a livelihood program.
- Day of Action was attended by the most respected and admired Mayor Vico Sotto of Pasig City.
The video features the Bokashi Pinoy team’s activities in Pasig City, Philippines, one of 30 communities where the team is active.
Can a bucket change the world?
In Pasig City, Philippines, citizens showed it can! Their buckets have turned this garbage dump
into this wonderful garden that grows food!
Local residents compost their food wastes in buckets with a special ingredient called Bokashi
Ipa. After being stored for two weeks, the buckets are brought to this garden, feeding the soil
and producing loads of nourishment for the plants.
In the past year, around 10 buckets or (100 kilograms) was collected per month. But last October, the team was able to collect a whopping 45 buckets or 450 kilograms of food
With the help of residents and city leaders, the team aims sky high with a hundred buckets per
month by Earth Day 2022! They believe that together, we can save the environment one bucket at a time.
Want to get involved? Join the Bokashi Team by:
1. Experiencing the 30 Day Garbage to Garden Challenge
2. Pledging to donate your Bokashied Food Waste, dry compostables, PET bottles and Used Cooking Oil every last Saturday of the month to our Ecohubs,
About the 2021 International Climate Action Challenge
Green Team Academy empowers everyday people to #BeTheChange. We host the annual challenge to help regular people take and idea and go from passion to action in 90 days. Together our teams plant tens of thousands of trees, remove tons of trash from our rivers, and work with youth, women, and communities around the world.