Challenger Profile at a Glance
Meet the Pollinator People team from Colorado! Find out how they are making a difference by recruiting people to protect soil health and pollinators as part of the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge!
- #78 – Pollinator People: Heal the Earth – Save the Pollinators
- 90-Day Challenge Goal: Get 50 people to sign the Pollinator Pledge from People & Pollinators Action Network
- Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
- Registered Challenger: Wanda Osterman-Harris
- 90-Day Challenge Period: September 1 – November 30, 2020
Here are some impact highlights from the Pollinator People team during the 90-day challenge period:
- Grew a team of 8 members
- Held a Kiss the Ground movie screening event and follow-up discussion
- Helped create 5 pollinator gardens
- Facilitated a pollinator art project for homeschoolers
- Met with local Denver councilperson to discuss native pollinator plantings for public parks
- Partnered with People & Pollinator Action Network: collaborated on modifications to website, got 69 people to sign the Pollinator Pledge, and promoted the license plate signature to provide funding for pollinator projects in Colorado
- Helped develop 3 podcasts with other challengers about the importance of soil health and avoiding toxic chemicals
- Mentored challengers with their project goals and ideas
- Developed 6 partnerships
Moving forward, the team is planning to continue and expand by:
- Coaching a local farm to do a 90-day challenge
- Working with the interneighborhood sustainability group in Denver
- Work with the green business community
- Advocate for Denver to go toxic-free
What is your advice for someone who wants to make an impact?
Here’s what Wanda said:
- Stop waiting for the perfect time to start. Just get going. There are going to be kinks in the road and you’re going to have to be flexible and adjust and that’s okay. There are also new opportunities that start happening around the corner.
- Start calling people. Create a team. Have some meetings and figure out what you can do in 90 days. Even if you don’t achieve everything you planned, you’ll probably achieve something else. Congratulate yourself along the way for the milestones you do achieve.
Want to get involved? Join the Facebook group or find out more about soil health and pollinators:
- Non-Toxic Neighborhood Parks – private Facebook group
- People and Pollinators Action Network
- Kiss the Ground Soil Advocacy Training