Challenger Profile at a Glance
Meet the international team that is creating the Sargassum Podcast, challengers in the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge! Find out how they are making a difference by raising awareness about Sargassum algae and solutions for addressing it.
Sargassum is an algae that has been causing major problems on beaches from West Africa to the Caribbean since 2011.
- #49 – Sargassum Podcast
- 90-Day Challenge Goal: Form an international team to record 10 podcast episodes about issues and solutions for addressing Sargassum
- Location: International
- Registered Challengers: Dr. Franziska Elmer
- 90-Day Challenge Period: September 1 – November 30, 2020
Here are some impact highlights from the Sargassum Podcast team during the 90-day challenge period:
- Came together as a new team with 5 members
- Created a logo and social media accounts
- Planned 10 podcast episodes and recorded 4 interviews
- Issued a call for 20-second “What is Sargassum?” videos and posted 6 videos
- Partnered and became a project of Marine Conservation Without Borders
- Applied for a grant to help pay for production of the podcast
We asked Franziska, what parts of the challenge helped the most? Here’s what she shared:
- First, you had to set a specific goal with a date and a time. Ours was to have 10 episodes, which we almost reached. It’s important to just have a goal because we didn’t have that before we started the challenge.
- The 3-hour per week rule is super helpful.
- The workbook was really helpful. The most useful exercise for us was developing the “100 Ideal Partners” list. Our challenge is about stories and sharing them, so we need lots of partners who can tell stories and lots of places that amplify them. This exercise helped us come up with some people we never would have thought of.
- The check-in sessions on Zoom where we could meet other people were really cool and fun.
- Joan took the time to do one-on-ones with people, and remembered what their projects are all about even though there are a lot of us. She connected us to others with synergies and that was super helpful.
Moving forward, the team is planning to:
- Produce a trailer from the 20-second videos,
- Produce the podcast episodes from the interviews
- Start social media posts
- Launch podcast in January 2021
We asked Franziska, what is your advice for someone who wants to make an impact? Here’s what she said:
- Pick something and do it.
- Don’t overthink it.
- Just get started!
Be sure to listen to the podcast when it launches. Rate and review it to help it get more visibility. To get involved, follow the team on social media or reach out!
- Facebook: @sarg.pod
- Instagram: @sargassumpodcast
- Twitter: @SargassumP
- Youtube: The Sargassum Podcast
- Website: www.marinefrontiers.org/sargassum