Challenger Profile at a Glance
Meet the Citizens Climate Lobby Lancaster (CCL Lancaster) team of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They teamed up to get out the vote and plant trees as part of the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge!
- #20 – CCL Lancaster
- 90-Day Challenge Goal: Complete 2,500 combined phones, letters, and postcards urging people to vote in the presidential election and partner to get 1,000 trees planted
- Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
- Registered Challenger: Jim Sandoe
- 90-Day Challenge Period: September 1 – November 30, 2020
Here are some impact highlights from the CCL Lancaster team during the 90-day challenge period:
- Completed 3,000 voter outreach contacts for the 2020 presidential elections
- Partnered on a tree-planting project with a local manufacturing company with a large campus that planted 1,000 trees
- Developed 5 partnerships: Environmental Voter Project, Postcards for Swing States, Climate Reality Project Newark Delaware, Franklin & Marshall College student group, Case New Holland
“The challenge was a morale booster,” said Jim. By sharing the stats for voter outreach contacts at each meeting, it spurred the members to take action through friendly competition.
What helped you the most?
“Working through the workbook is a good exercise for people, whether they want to do the challenge or not,” said Jim. “It’s a mind organizer and helps you figure out what you’re doing as a chapter.”
Moving forward, the CCL Lancaster team is planning to:
- Continue with get out the vote weekly trainings, organizing webinars, table-talks, and events
- Start social media accounts
- Launch a website and build out resources to help people change their behavior
We asked Jim, what is your advice for someone who wants to make an impact? Here’s what he said:
- Find something that really grabs your attention, something that you really feel like, I’ve got to do this. Something you really have a passion for.
- You don’t have to start a new group. If you want to join an existing group, take your time and try out several groups to see what you like and what you don’t like. That will help you find a group that’s a good fit.
- Or, if you decide to start your own, you’ll know what you like and can incorporate that into your group.
Want to get involved? Contact the CCL Lancaster team to become a chapter member or to partner with them:
- Website: https://citizensclimatelobby.org/chapters/PA_Lancaster/
- Facebook: @ccllancaster
- Instagram: @ccl.lanc